Timothy Baptist Church was organized in 1882 on a small piece of land owned by Addie Mae and William J. Russell. Recognizing the need for a common place of worship, a small group of Timothy Road residents built a brush arbor made from tree limbs, pine brush, and vines. The Rev. Adam Bell provided pastoral leadership to the budding congregation of former slaves who witnessed the end of the Civil War.
In the early 1900s, under the Pastoral leadership of Rev. W.W. White, church membership grew to 23 congregants, and the first wooden-framed building was constructed.
Seven pastors would serve the church during its early years following Rev. W.W. White: Rev. Sloan Brown, Rev. John Henry Stephens, Rev. Powers, Rev. Harris, Rev. Hughes, Rev. John Bowles, and Rev. John Gordon. Other pastors include: Rev P.E. Dorsey (mid-30's to 1949), and Rev. J.W. Evans (1950-1965).
On November 30, 1963, the Russell family released all of its interest in the property on which our present building is located. And later pastors would continue to pass the torch. Rev Wm. Bowen (1967), Rev John H. Smith (1968-1981), Rev Scotty Randolph (1982-1986), and Bishop Jerry F. Hutchins (1987-2011)
On July 11, 1999, under the Pastoral leading of Bishop Hutchins, ground was broken for our present facility. By August 26, 2001, the church held a Ribbon Cutting and Entrance Day Celebration for the newly built church. On May 14, 2011, Bishop Hutchins named Pastor Tracy L. Boles as his successor.
Pastor Boles became Senior Pastor August 7, 2011 and was officially installed on Sunday, October 2, 2011. Since pastor Boles and his family arrived 800 souls have been added to the Timothy church family. We have also purchased land for future church growth, deepened our roots in the community, established new ministries to meet the needs of our growing congregation, and established a summer camp for our children and the community. We are a church that is Christ centered and people focused!
While we are pleased that we have been successful in all of our endeavors, we have never forgotten that God is the source of all our success. We pray that He will continue to bless us, guide our pastor and leaders, and sustain us as we continue to do His will. We are the recipients of a legacy of blessings and service. It is our fervent prayer and commitment that we continue to build and provide for our heirs the same blessed heritage we have enjoyed.